Re: Issue w/ Apache httpd 2.2.11 in Windows Vista

kowa@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I installed Apache as a service as normal, then tried to run it.  It
> ran...but it won't read the httpd.conf file.  Even changing the service to
> call httpd.exe -k runservice -f (path to conf file) *does not work*.  I
> can only run httpd manually, from the command prompt, with the -f
> parameter, and get it to read the conf file.
>
> Why???

Not enough info for anyone to give you an answer.  Some thoughts; don't mess
with the HKLM\Services key ever, always use httpd.exe -k config.  Another
thought - using UAC?  If you don't understand how it can hide file changes
and keep them private to your login, disable it.  You changed the run-as
user of the httpd service?  Perhaps it doesn't have write access to the logs
directory.  Perhaps you broke permissions on the volume for the SYSTEM (aka
LocalSystem) account?  It needs list and read directory permission all the
way from the root to all of the files it uses or serves.

> FYI, nothing shows up in the error log to explain this.  Also, apparently
> the registry key pointing to the proper path IS set (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Apache
> Software Foundation\Apache\2.2.11 ServerRoot) but isn't being used.

Note early startup errors are recorded to the Application Event Log.