Re: Order of Proxy matching

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Evan Champion <evanc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone advise of the order in which <Proxy> statements matching the
> same URL are matched?
>
> I am using SetEnvIf to set a variable that is saved later in the
> access_log.  Sometimes there is a more specific match and a less
> specific match for the same URL, e.g.:
>
> <Proxy http://server1.example.com/*>
>        SetEnvIf Server_Addr . VAR=first
>      Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> <Proxy http://*.example.com/*>
>        SetEnvIf Server_Addr . VAR=second
>      Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> My observation is that the matches are done in reverse order of
> appearance in the configuration, i.e. in this example, a request to
> http://server.example.com/ will match the http://*.example.com/* rule
> and the variable will be set to "second".  Is it generally correct that
> matches are in reverse order of appearance in the configuration?

I assume in your example you meant "server1.example.com" so both
sections match.   The sections are merged in the same order as they
appear in the config file -- later matching sections override earlier
ones.   <Proxy> doesn't behave like <Directory> in that it doesn't
care about processing "shorter" matches earlier (or regexes later)

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx