Re: apache2 and .htaccess

On 19.05.09 15:59, Chris Henderson wrote:
> Is there any way to tell Apache2 to prompt for username and password
> when it sees a .htaccess file in a directory?

No. But there is way to tell apache to read and parse the .htaccess (see
<Directory> and AllowOverride directives) and the .htaccess can contain
directives that will require authentication.

However, it won't be apache who asks for password, it's the browser's
business.

> At the moment, I need to define the directory in the following
> fashion in Apache2 conf file but it becomes a problem as I have
> thousands of directories that needs .htaccess file password
> protection.
>
> For example, assuming /website is DirectoryRoot then protect
> /website/a1, /website/b2 etc.

thousands of directories with thousands of different permissions?

> <Directory "/website/dir">
> AllowOverride All
> Options Indexes
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> AuthUserFile /website/dir/.htaccess
> </Directory>

This only configures /website/dir, not /website/a1 etc. Since you have
<Directory /website> below, appatently you could just skip that.

Also, the AuthUerFile specifies the _password_ file, this is not a password
file, but an access file, configured by AccessFileName, that can be
relative.

> Here is my .htaccess file
>
> AuthName "Restricted"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthLDAPURL ldap://ad.company.com:389/ou=marketing,dc=company,dc=com?sAMAccountName?sub
> AuthBasicProvider ldap
> AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off

Do you use other authentication methods?

> require valid-user

the same permissions/ Why not check them for /website/* then?

> In /etc/apache2/default-server.conf, I have changed
>
> DocumentRoot "/srv/www/htdocs"
> <Directory "/srv/www/htdocs/">
> Options None
> AllowOverride None
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>

> DocumentRoot "/website"
> <Directory "/website/">
> Options None
> AllowOverride All
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> but it don't seem to work. Thanks for any help.

You seem have made more mistakes...
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.