Re: After restart Vista, working Apache 2.2.11 stopped working, reinstall, google, etc to no avail

Abel Braaksma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> system: Windows Vista Business, latest SP's, Apache HTTPd 2.2.11, MSI
> installation.
>
> I've had a long-running well-working Apache, no problems, changed some
> configs today and restarted Apache and all was fine and dandy. Then I
> installed a new video driver today and after restart, Apache didn't
> start at all anymore with the following message in error.log:
>
> [crit] (22)Invalid argument: Parent: Failed to create the child process.
> [crit] (OS 6)The handle is invalid.  : master_main: create child process
> failed. Exiting.
> [notice] Parent: Forcing termination of child process 36

> I'm running out of ideas. I don't know what "Invalid argument" means
> here. Though I am a programmer, I have not yet tried to install the
> source or tried to debug, it seemed to daunting.

You shouldn't need to, we hope.  Note this code is in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/server/mpm/winnt/mpm_winnt.c
and the only arguments that can be corrupted are the cmd we build for
the child, the args to the cmd, the environment, and process attributes
(program type, standard input/output handles etc).

So your driver busted something; the question is, what?  Since we didn't
create it, you can presume we have no interest in debugging it :)  But
here's just a smattering of things that might help;

Lingering, corrupted system environment variables?

Permissions of the system account?  (Try changing the service to 'Logon As'
another user who you create and set up with Write permissions to the logs/
directory.)

Corrupted msvcrt.dll?

Corrupted service?  Might have to uninstall the service, reboot, then
manually delete this key;
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\[service name]
and reinstall the service.

> PS: this question was also asked at experts-exchange, but got little
> response:

So much for 'expertise' ;-)  Glad you found a more informed place to ask.