Best practice - apache access control via memcache

I'm looking for some advice on which is the best way to approach this..
The goal here is to serve protected static pages from apache (2.2.9, running on RHEL) based on user information stored in memcache.

There is an authentication app where users are directed to, if they don't have a cookie set. The authentication app can authenticate the user and write their credentials to memcache and set the cookie. The user is then redirected back to the apache server to serve the protected pages.

I'm looking for best practices or a module in apache that can lookup memcache based on the http cookie in order to serve protected static pages..  Searching the web, the only apache module that I could find was authmemcookie which unfortunately has some issues under RHEL. Any input is greatly appreciated.. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Chetan