Re: Log Filter based on client ip ?

Bastien LEGRAS wrote:
Hello,

Is there a way to filter errors issued from a specific client ip ? i.e. my
loadbalancers are testing my https urls but cannot perform SSL handshake so
I have lot of errors like that :

[Mon May 04 08:24:24 2009] [info] [client x.x.x.x] (70014)End of file found:
SSL handshake interrupted by system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!]

I'd like to prevent errors from a specific client IP from being logged.

Which specific log are you talking about ?
(and under which Apache version, if Apache this is)

As far as the access log is concerned, you can use conditional logging,
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html  Conditional Logs)
or piped logs, see below. But I don't think that this works for the log you indicate above.

Generally speaking however, I would suggest that the easiest (and safest) solution could be to just "grep" these lines out after the fact. If you would filter these out too widely, you also have the risk of filtering out really important messages some day, and never know about them.

For the Apache access log, you can also use a "piped" log, going through some program before being written to the logfile. I guess that this program could be grep.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html#piped