Re: mod_proxy_ajp connections erratic

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 10:07 +0200, André Warnier wrote:
Craig Main wrote:
> Thanks Andre,
>
> I am using apache to connect to 10 tomcat instances using the ajp
> connector with load balancing and sticky sessions.
>
> Apache:
> Load [root@lt-webportal-01:~]  # /opt/apache/bin/apachectl -V
> Server version: Apache/2.2.9 (Unix)
> Server built:   Sep  6 2008 15:33:44
> Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:15
> Server loaded:  APR 1.3.0, APR-Util 1.3.0
> Compiled using: APR 1.3.0, APR-Util 1.3.0
> Architecture:   64-bit
> Server MPM:     Prefork
>   threaded:     no
>     forked:     yes (variable process count)
> Server compiled with....
>  -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
>  -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
>  -D APR_HAS_MMAP
>  -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
>  -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
>  -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
>  -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
>  -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
>  -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
>  -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
>  -D HTTPD_ROOT="/opt/http-2.2.9"
>  -D SUEXEC_BIN="/opt/http-2.2.9/bin/suexec"
>  -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
>  -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
>  -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
>  -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
>  -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/opt/etc/httpd/mime.types"
>  -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/opt/etc/httpd/httpd.conf"
>
> Tomcat: apache-tomcat-6.0.18
>
> Platform: CentOS 5.2 64bit
>

> The problem points to the ajp connection as we have done the following
> tests:
>
> 1) Load tested http with our static content. - Good Response times
> 2) Load tested with the tomcat ajp load balancing to 10 tomcat
> instances:
>         * When we test the site's static content, the speed is fine
>         * When we test the site's pages that go to tomcat, we see the
> same page returning sometimes fast, and other times slow.
>         * If we test connecting to the tomcat via it's http connector
> from the command line, the speed is fine under load.
>         * If we test connecting to the apache requesting the tomcat
> pages, some of the requests are returned quickly, others are slow.
> 3) At first we thought it could be an specific instance of Tomcat, but
> on investigation, one request to a particular instance was fast, and
> others we slow to the same instance.
>
> Please let me know if you need more information.

I believe that will do fine.
;-)

Just another question, because someone is bound to ask : would it be an
option for you to test with mod_jk instead of mod_proxy_ajp as a
connector on the httpd side, and compare the results ?
Not to say that one or the other is better, but mod_jk has been there
longer, and is probably more mature.  And it would help circumscribing
the issue.

This is what we are currently looking into. Will let you know when we have results on that.

Thanks
Craig