Apache2 memory usage with many directories configuration directives

Hi,

I'm part of a sysadmin team who operate a non-profit and self-managed small
shared hosting organization. We recently upgraded one of our web front-end from
apache 1.33 to apache2, and noticed a big increase in the amount of memory each
apache process uses, whereas the overall configuration is very similar. The RES
memory used by each process was about 25Mb with apache 1, it is now about 120Mb
with apache2.

After investigation, it seems that the principal cause of this memory usage is a
huge list of per-directory configuration directives. To say it fast, each hosted
user has got his files in one directory, and we define a <Directory>
configuration to set up an open_basedir php restriction, something like :

<Directory /dns/a/account>
  php_admin_value open_basedir /html/a/account/:/usr/share/php/:/tmp/:/tmp/
</Directory>

But we have about 7500 of such directives.

When these settings are temporarily disabled, the apache2 process memory usage
fall from 120Mb to about 12Mb...

Do you have any idea of why apache2 consumes much more memory than apache 1 in
this case, and of course of any workaround for this ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sincerely,

Julien