Re: "tee" SSL traffic?

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 07:56:39PM +0200, André Warnier wrote:
> Ok, part of my answer below is because I missed the subject of your
> post. It still does not seem to make much sense hhowever, so explain a
> bit more.
>
> André Warnier wrote:
> >John Oliver wrote:
> >>Is it possible for an instance of httpd to basically copy all traffic it
> >>receives to another instance of httpd on another host?
> >>
> >As put, the question just deserves a "yes".

Har-dee-har... :-)

> >I'll be nice though :
> >That's certainly possible, most of the time. But why would you want to
> >do that, rather than just direct the traffic to the other host in the
> >first place ? I mean, on the face of it, it would just adds overhead.
> >
> >If you want finer answers, you'll have to provide a bit more detail,
> >such as
> >- is this httpd an Apache httpd, which one, which platform ?
> >- what are you trying to achieve, and maybe why ?
> >- is there something that prevents requests going to the other host
> >directly ?

httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_2.4 on RHEL5

I'm afraid that going into "why" is going to not be relevant to the
answer, and will probably evoke a lot of, "Well, that's just silly!",
but...

I'm dealing with a Java web application that accepts data from one
source, formats it, and sends it off to a destination.  The app is
hardcoded to send to one destination... yes, that sucks, but that's the
way it is, and nobody has time to untangle it.  The source is going to
send data to one IP.  Yes, they could send to 2, but they won't, I don't
know why, and it would take weeks to go through US government bureacracy
to find out why with little hope of changing that.  But, we want to make
the formatted data available to two different messaging buses.  So, we
would like one instance of httpd to not only proxy the traffic in to
Tomcat, but also "copy" it off to a second VM that runs another instance
of the app, which will format the data and send it off to a second
messaging bus.

I know folks are going to be screaming that this is all wrong, the app
sucks, the *real* answer is to do X Y or Z... but we have a deadline,
and I was hoping to do this in httpd rather than have one of the
developers cobble up the code to do this at the application layer.