apache fails to show jpg and not find files

I wanted to setup my web pages that are on verizon.net on my local network
with a machine running Suse 11.1/apache2.  I downloaded the web pages with
'wget -a -k' into a directory and set the directory/root and directory for
the apache .conf file to the directory holding 'index.html' in the
downloaded directories and set the permissions.  When the server is
accessed, the web page text presents, but there are only boxes for the .jpg,
.jpeg files and the one case where there is a file to be downloaded it shows
"Object not Found, Error 404".

If I access 'index.html' from the browser (Konqueror) on the server machine
everything is correct, so it looks like the paths to the files are being
handled differently with apache than the browser.

I'm new at this and need so direction as to where to look.

Don