Re: Explosion of httpd clients

Hi Russell,

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 15:21 -0600, Russell Bell wrote:
> Morten K. Poulsen wrote: 'What are those httpd processes serving?'
>
> Do you mean the pages as recorded in the web logs?

I was thinking about which requests those processes are handling right
now. AFIK Apache logs when a request has been served, so if something
goes wrong before that, it will not show up in the log files.

> Morten K. Poulsen wrote:  'Is Apache still responding?'
>
> Yes, but incredibly slowly.

If the server-status page is available, could you fetch it, and see if
anything unusual is going on? The scoreboard (which is displayed by the
server-status page) is the place to get information about what Apache is
doing, while it is doing it.

> sendmail won't spawn new processes on account of the exhaustion of
> memory. Lots of processes, httpd and otherwise, time out. I have to
> try a few times to ssh in.

Have you considered lowering the MaxClients setting?

Best regards,
Morten

--
Morten K. Poulsen <mopo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>