Re: Using Expires...

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM, ntwrkd <ntwrkd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you have cached content, using expires is a very good thing to do.
> It depends on your architecture and needs.
>
> Here are posts from two differing camps:
> http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000932.html
>
> Hope this helps
> @msacks
>
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Tony Anecito <adanecito@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is using expires a good thing via Apache? It is recommended by someone in my company as a best practice but seems as if there are probably pros and cons to it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> -Tony

If your content expires in the not too-near future, and you can figure
out when, then yes, it's a good thing, it will help browsers figure
out what they can cache which speeds up future accesses for that user
and reduces the overall network traffic, which is good for everyone.

If you have dynamic content that changes rapidly, then using an
Expires header will probably mean visitors are getting stale content.
If you have Expires headers that are always a very short time in the
future, then you're just busting people's balls, because you're
telling their browser (and other caches) to cache the content, but
then it doesn't do them any good because by the time they access it
again, the content has expired.

You should never follow best-practices from people who can't explain
why they're so good. Kudos for seeking outside intervention on this
issue.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/