RE: Locking down a proxy server

> From: Krist van Besien [mailto:krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx]
> While apache can be used as a general web proxy it is not the best
> suited program for this.
>
> I'd look in to squid. You can install squid on all your local office,
> and configure it to use the central office as a "parent" cache. Squid
> has several options for authentication, and it is possible to have
> your "child" proxies authenticate themselves when accessing the
> "parent" proxy.

Yes, I did look at Squid for the "child" proxies, but decided on
Apache because:
-  Relatively low throughput of the local office networks offers
   limited caching benefits.  However, I have observed disk_cache
   generating warnings when it attempts to refresh cached headers.
-  I wanted the program to act as a web server for a small intranet;
-  I need to extend the server to interact with other Windows services
   for the purposes of validating user status and recording detailed
   accounting interactions. Apache seems far more open to this.

So far my best offer is validation based on a known type C address
together with a an X-header containing verifiable data.

Dave