CGI Child Process Question

Hello,

My name is Lihet Ruben, I'm new to this mailing list. I have a question
about a CGI script I want to make.

So, this is the scenario. The CGI script will serve content to users (like a
file download) but I have to keep track of many other things. The most
important thing is I want to know if the person has downloaded the file
completely or canceled the download. So I thought that is the user cancels
the script, the program dies, I cannot log what happened. So I came with the
idea of creating a child for my cgi script, with fork() (btw I'm using c++)
and keep track of the child's activity and make decisions based on childs
return code. That would be ok at a first glance, but the problem is that the
parent cgi script is killed by the apache server.

Now comes the question:
Q: How does apache kills cgi scripts ? Or, what happens with a cgi script
when a user hits cancel in the browser while the script was still executing
? Does apache send a signal to the cgi-script telling it to die or what ?

Thanks in advance,
Lihet Ruben.