Re: how to prevent mp3 downloading ?

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM, André Warnier <aw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> J. Bakshi wrote:
>>
>> Eric Covener wrote:

>>> You could use mod_rewrite to make sure the referer is set to something
>>> you expect, but it's still going to ultimately be downloadable.
>>>

>> Please suggest what else I can do.
>> Please
>>
> You could replace the links to the mp3 files by a button or a link, which
> when clicked opens another window where the user needs to input something
> before the download starts.  The input is often some kind of image of a
> text, easily read by humans but not by machines.  There is a name for that
> kind of thing, but I don't recall it right now.

You could not put links to mp3s on your site.

I'm not really clear what you're trying to do: anything you put on
your site is fair game to be downloaded. If you want, you can set up
authentication so that a username and password are required to access
the file. If you're trying to stop bots from getting it, Mark's
suggestion of using a CAPTCHA is your best bet.

Are you just trying to make it so that the flash player can play the
file, but people can't download it? I'm not sure how the flash player
works: if the file can be embedded directly into the flash then
there's no need to have a link to the file on your site, but if the
flash player has to fetch it from your site over the web, that it will
inherently need to be made available for download. An important thing
to keep in mind, though, is that anything that's playing on a person's
computer can easily be recorded, so just because they can't download
the file doesn't mean they can't just play it and record it. Also, if
you're trying to do this to protect yourself from copyright laws, I
wouldn't be too confident that you're safe if you're letting people
listen to the music at all just because you're trying to prevent them
from downloading it.

So try to be more specific about what you're trying to achieve, and
I'm sure someone here can come up with a solution, if there is one.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/