Compression of reverse proxied content

Hi all

We use apache as a reverse proxy for managing our backend servers, and
serving static content, and we also use it for providing a more local
server in remote locations.

(excuse the made up domain names)
Eg, site www.foo.com is handled by reverse proxy proxy01.local, in which
we have foo-backend1.local and foo-backend2.local configured as the
backend servers. We then have secondary proxies, eg in Japan we have
proxy02.japan, which proxies back to proxy01.local. Users access the
Japan proxy by using a special domain name, eg jp.foo.com.

The aim of this is that we can ensure that the route from proxy02.japan
to proxy01.local is high bandwidth and as low latency as possible, where
as a user in Japan could have a very poor route directly to our data
centre housing proxy01.local, but would typically have an excellent
connection to our data centre housing proxy02.japan.

This all works correctly, and has provided a decent boost to our
Japanese users. What we would like to do is enhance this boost by
compressing all appropriate content between proxy01.local and
proxy02.japan, decompress it at proxy02.japan, and then potentially
recompress it again, depending if the user has requested compression.
Obviously, if we could be smart here, and not decompress/recompress when
the user requests compression, that would be better, but we can handle
the compression load if needs be.

The backend servers either run apache 1.3 with custom content generation
modules written in C++, or are apache 2.2.11/prefork MPM running FastCGI
applications. The proxy servers are all apache 2.2.11/event MPM.

Is there a way to do this? I have had a look through the mod_proxy and
mod_proxy_http documnentation, but cannot see a way to force this
behaviour.

Regards

Tom