Re: Cookie tracking question

Of course I have, thanks.

The docs say
%{Foobar}n  	The contents of note Foobar from another module.

The behavior here is exported form the CookieTracking module which
currently does not output the COOKIENAME to the logfile. This is also
discussed in detail on the cookie tracking docs. What the docs don't
tell you when recommend "%{cookie}n" vs "%{cookie}i" is that the 'n'
modifier is -not- a direct replacement for the 'i' modifier since they
output differently to the logfile.

Its a subtle but important difference. What I am looking for is a way
to track the user ID on the first hit(n) but also get the cookiename
(i).

It may not exist which is why I also asked if anyone knew of a patch
or alternative module that can accomplish this task.

John-

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Krist van Besien
<krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:11 AM, John Armstrong <jarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have inherited an old, fragile codebase that uses CookieTracking. Great!
>>
>> Except that when they implemented it they used
>>
>> %{Cookie}i which outputs the cookie as 'cookiename=cookievalue' in the
>> logfile. It also ignores the first hit since its a header based
>> cookie, not a module based cookie, and we lose hits.
>>
>> So, we decided to change to %{Cookie}n so our first hit logs.
>> Unfortunately, this outputs as 'cookievalue' so our
>> SuperTerrificTotallyCustomAndFragile log analysis software breaks
>> since it can't parse the unique user out of the logfile with the
>> cookie name.
>>
>> Anyone know of a patch or a tweak that will get %{Cookie}n to output
>> 'cookiename=cookievalue'?
>
> Have you looked at the docs?
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
>
> Krist
>

> --
> krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
> krist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
> --
> A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
> Q: What's wrong with top-posting?
> A: Top-posting.
> Q: What's the biggest scourge on plain text email discussions?

John Armstrong
Vice President, Engineering
The Berkeley Electronic Press
510/665-1200 x160
http://www.bepress.com/

bepress: 10 years of accelerating and enhancing the flow of scholarly ideas