Re: Is it possible to configure two subdomains for an IP address?

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Rex C. Eastbourne
<rex.eastbourne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So it looks like there is indeed a NameVirtualHost * in another file. What
> would be the best modification to make now?

I'm also running (one) apache on Ubuntu. Ubuntu and Debian has a
highly customized layout apache layout.

Under Ubuntu apache will first load /etc/apache2/apache2.conf. This
file in turn includes httpd,conf, ports.conf and then all files under
conf.d and sites-enabled. In "sites-enabled" there is usually only one
file, and it is actually a link to a file in "sites-available.
There's a philosphy behind that. If you follow it it will make
upgrading and managing apache using the ubuntu tools easier.

Easy:
- Don't touch httpd.conf. leave that as it was installed.  (as
installed this file is empty)
- Put your own stuff in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default,
replacing what is allready there.

or, a bit more sofisticated (but recommended), in line with the
underlying philosphy:
- Don't touch httpd.conf. leave that as it was installed. (as
installed this file is empty)
- Put all your stuff in a file named "mysite" (or whatever you fancy)
in the /etc/apache2/sites-available dir. (Not in sites-enabled!). Use
the "default" file as a template.
- Run  the follwoing two commands:
a2dissite default
a2ensite mysite

This will remove the link to default from sites-enabled, and add a
link to your config...

If you want to know more about the gritty details of apache "Ubuntu
style" read this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/httpd.html

HTH
Krist