Re: Include directive in httpd.conf giving a Permission denied error.

Justin Pasher wrote:
Laura Speck wrote:
Hello,

I am getting an error trying to use the Include directive in my httpd.conf. I am running apache2 on Fedora 9. My ServerRoot is /etc/httpd, and my apache install is not chrooted.

I have a program that sends some servers a new httpd.virts every time we have a dns change or a new domain. This file gets uploaded to /home/backups/httpd.virts. I have added the line Include /home/backups/httpd.virts to the end of my httpd.conf. httpd.virts is readable by everyone, and /home/backups/ is executable by everyone. However, when I try to restart apache, I get this error:

Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 349 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Could not open configuration file /home/backups/httpd.virts: Permission denied

If I copy /home/backups/httpd.virts to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.virts, and change the include line to Include /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.virts.. it works fine. If I create a symbolic link to the /home/backups/httpd.virts, apache still gives me the permission denied error. I can't create a hard link as /home is a different partition from /etc.

Sounds like an SElinux problem that is denying the daemon access. Run "sestatus" to see if it says it's enabled. You can try disabling it temporarily by running "setenforce 0". If the problem goes away, you have your answer. As far as how to get around it without disabling SElinux, that would be more appropriate for an SElinux mailing list (and beyond my expertise).
Thanks for the help - SELinux is enabled. Temporarily disabling it did fix the problem, but I would like to keep it enabled. I am headed to find an SELinux list, thank you :)

Laura