Re: Can name- and IP-based vhosts share an address:port pair?

On 13.03.09 12:19, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> We have HTTPD 2.2 with several IP-based VirtualHost definitions.  Now
> one of our partners wants to add some name-based vhosts, and it would
> be convenient to just keep using the same address:port as their
> existing application.  What I mean to do is just add another
> VirtualHost for each application, a NameVirtualHost fingering the
> address:port pair, and ensure that the existing vhost is parsed first
> so it becomes the default for no-name requests.  Will this work?  Am I
> nuts?

If you use more virtual hosts on the same IP:port, it's called name-based
virtual hosting, IP-based virtual hosting is the one you do NOT check for
name, just for IP:port. Using name-based or ip-based virtual hosts is
therefore mutually-exclusive - if you have one, you don't have tne another
one (at least on the IP:port combination)

> The description of the way the address:port name lists are built and
> used seems to imply that I can get away with this.  But then there's a
> bit about name- and IP-based vhosts being unable to "interfere", which
> makes me uncertain.

Yes, you can get away with this. There should be no interferentions, unless
you add new name-based virtualhost with host name someone used before to
access the original, default virtual host.
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Spam is for losers who can't get business any other way.