Re: cannot access sites through "localhost" on development computer

Thomas Johansson wrote:
Sorry to get back on this issue. The solution only helped temporarily (for 2 days). Now it appears Windows has changed the host file and deleted the line I added to it. (Perhaps something having to do with permissions, that I didn't change it the right way...?)
I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" way to edit a text file. It's either changed, or not.

Which sort of suggests that the real problem perhaps is more fundamental. After all, my setup used to work fine (for almost a year); it was just a few days ago that "localhost" stopped working. Maybe the problem is in Windows Vista, which perhaps has started resetting the host file periodically (including the original DNS reference to "localhost")?

As someone else suggested, this is more of a question for Windows guys than for Apache guys. Apache itself, to my knowledge, won't even directly read the hosts file, even less write to it.

It may be that the MS guys have found yet another way to try to be smarter than the user. Maybe that file is somehow in a list of "specially protected" files, that Windows restores to some original if it has been changed ? Maybe (more likely) there is some startup script or login script that restores the file from a central location whenever you reboot or logoff/login ? Maybe your machine is part of a network, where a sysadmin implemented some form of automatic software update or "restore standard configuration" procedure ?