Re: [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /srv/www/htdocs/

James Pifer wrote:
I have apache2 running on a SLES10SP1 server. It's running several
virtual hosts. One of our cgi-bin scripts stopped workyesterday for no
apparent reason. While looking for the problem I found the error log for
one of the sites gets the error constantly:
[Wed Feb 18 14:00:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by
server configuration: /srv/www/htdocs/

First, it has nothing to do with the user under which Apache runs.
According to the message above, it is the /client/ that is being denied by the server. It also says that the client is "calling" /from/ the address 127.0.0.1, which is the localhost (the Apache machine itself). So you have something running on your Apache machine, which tries to access that website on that same machine. Since it appears constantly, my guess is that is some automatic process, probably something running to just check the server. Nagios maybe ?

The reason why it is being denied may be that, in your server configuration, you have something like :
Deny from all
Allow from (some ip address),
and it does not allow the address 127.0.0.1

It is also not sure that this message, and the problem with the cgi-bin, are related. There should also be an access log (usually at the same location as the error log), that should tell you, at the same time, what this client (the one being denied) is trying to access.

If you have perl installed on that Suse machine, try the following command, from a command-line window on the same machine :
lwp-request -m GET -Sed http://localhost
and post here what it answers.

If you don't have perl, try wget or curl, giving them the right options to be verbose about errors.