From: Glen Barber [mailto:glen.j.barber@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 2:53 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  nOOb question about patching...

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Griffith, Michael *
<Michael.Griffith@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm not clear on this basic issue, and I'm looking for someone to
> clear it up for me. If I have Apache 2.2.6 installed and configured,
> and I need to upgrade to 2.2.9, can I do that with the patch command,
> or do I need to actually download the new binary?  Running on solaris
> under a zone -- the entire apache install is in one directory instead
> of the usual /etc/ /var install.

Generally, when doing version upgrades, it is a Good Idea (tm) to
uninstall the current version, and install the new version (via source,
binary, whatever you wish).

Patching, IMHO, is only really "safe" when adding/removing
functionality.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber