apache response before chunked request complete

Hello,

I have an application where the client streams up to 10-20 seconds of
Transfer-Encoding: chunked data to a fastcgi program behind apache.
Sometimes I would like to return an early response to the client
(which is not a browser) even while the client is still sending data.
My client is configured to accept an early response.

A simplest case fastcgi main loop to test this looks like this:

while (FCGI_Accept() >= 0)
{
    /* send result back to client right away, ignoring request post body */
    char sz[] = "Content-Type: text/html\r\n\r\nEarly Result\n";
    fwrite(sz, 1, strlen(sz), stdout);
    fflush(stdout);
}

I've also tried adding -flush to my FastCgiServer line in httpd.conf.

In my tests, I never get a response from Apache until the client is
finished streaming all chunked data.  I expected that apache would
send the response as soon as it is available.  The only previous
discussion I could find on this topic is at (1)

My question is whether it is supported in apache (or in the http 1.1
spec) to return a response to a client while the client is still
sending the chunked post body of its request.

Thanks,
Jon

ref:
(1) http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200304.mbox/%3C5b.3824ef24.2bd035e1@xxxxxxx%3E