user certificates with apache

Hi,

I am recently set-up an environment for testing client certificate based
authentication on an apache webserver. The test environment is a recent Ubuntu
8.10 distro with tinyca2 0.7.5 and apache 2.2.9. I have setup a test root CA,
two certificates signed by this CA: One for the webserver and one for the user.
Everything done by tinyca2. First I configured apache to allow only
ssl-connections (no client certificates yet): Everything worked so far: /var/www
is only accessible via https. Now I added a new subdirectory /var/www/secret
with a dummy index.html which should only be accessible by users which provide a
certificate. So I added this to my sites-enabled/foo.conf:

SSLVerifyClient none

SSLVerifyClient require
SSLVerifyDepth 2
SSLRequire ( %{SSL_CIPHER} !~ m/^(EXP|NULL)/ \
and %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN} eq "My name in CN of certificate" )

What I expected was: outside of /var/www/secret (i.e. in /var/www or
/var/www/public) documents are accessible by everyone, only inside of
/var/www/secret a user needs to provide his certificate.
What I got was: apache asks for the users certificate no matter which document
is reqested (i.e. inside AND outside of /var/www/secret).

I used http://www.garex.net/apache/ as How-to.
Any hints?

Thanks in advance!

Jens