Cookie-based busy filter to avoid peak loads?

Hi,

On our infrastructure we want to implement a "busy filter" as a
gateway, before users access the rest of the infrastructure
(appservers). I have thought up the following approach:

- During low-load times, the user's session is injected with a cookie
LAST_ACCESS, having the current timestamp as value. Then the user is
let through.

- During high-load times, the user's session cookies are examined.
When cookie LAST_ACCESS shows a last access time that is more recent
than say 30 minutes ago, then the user is let through (and the
timestamp is updated). When not, then the user is presented a page
 stating something like "we're busy at the moment, retry later".

The general idea is of course that users who are already at work at
the site, aren't hindered and may continue to work. New users are put
on hold. This filter should enable us to handle peak loads where all
users get bad response times and get frustrated.

I've looked at various modules but couldn't find anything fitting. If
you have suggestions (even a totally different approach!) please let
me know. I prefer e-mail instead of replies. If something "good" comes
up, I'll post a digest with the results. Thanks!
--
Best regards / met vriendelijke groet, Karel Kubat