Re: Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Michael Rogers wrote:
Okay:
The .net is served by a name server on the east cost and is associated with Domain servers in listed order: NS1.IPOWERDNS.COM and NS1.IPOWERWEB.NET. The .com is served by a name server some where in Montana and shows as Domain servers in listed order: SMOKEY.MONTANAVISION.NET and NS2.MONTANAVISION.NET. Nothing is served by a computer on my net work. The 66.113.46.108 is the IP address of my modem setting here near my desk. I don't know what the 66.96.130.11 is, could be ipower, as they are hosting the .net How did you come to your IP address conclusion? I tried the port forwarding but that creates another problem. each time that I restart my computer it changes the IP of the computer, for example one time the IP my be 10.0.0.101 and the next time I start it it my be 10.0.0.104. However the when I run ipconfig /all it shows the computer with the Apache server is on as being: host: michael-2. When I am on one of the other computers on my network and type michael-2 I see my page.
    *From:* Nicholas Sherlock <mailto:n.sherlock@xxxxxxxxx>
    *Sent:* Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:11 AM
    *To:* users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    *Subject:*  Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

    Michael Rogers wrote:
    > Nicholas!
> > did you try michaelsrogers.com or .net, I have two domain names.

    Michaelsrogers.com (currently resolving here to 66.113.46.108)
    gives the
    "connection refused" message. Michaelsrogers.net (resolving to
    66.96.130.11) loads fine.

    Are both of these sites being served by a computer on your
    network? Are
    they both served from the same connection? What IP address do you
    see if
    you go to http://www.whatismyip.com ?

    > look at this and tell me what I did wrong.  I find that on my
    network I
    > can also type "laptop-1" and still see the page.

    That suggests that your program is not with a firewall on your
    computer.
    I don't think the issue is with your Apache configuration. I think
    that
    it is your network configuration. Have you set up port forwarding on
    your router yet? Have you ever been able to access your Apache server
    from outside your network?

    > One thing is I am not understanding the "your host" does this
    mean "me"
    > as in my computer or the ISPs computer where the names server is?

    I was talking about your computer, the one that Apache is running on.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

Michael S. Rogers
(406) 967-2385
Web Sites: http://www.michaelsrogers.net & http://www.michaelsrogers.net/trainwreck/Wreck.html
Both the above links work just from here...

--
Norman Registered Linux user #461062 -Have you been to www.apache.org yet?-