Firewall causing ProxyPass to fail

Hi,

I am trying to use the ProxyPass directive in my apache cofig file to work around the ajax cross-domain policy.

My apache server is hosted behind a corporate firewall. The ProxyPass directive works fine when the remote server resides within the intranet; however, when it points to something outside the intranet, I get a HTTP 503.

It seems like the apache server is not using the http_proxy environment variable.  I also tried to set it explicitlly in my config file as follows:
SetEnv http_proxy ...
SetEnv https_proxy ...

I still continue to get a 503. I have no problem accessing the remote server from my browser or when doing curl from the shell (since they use the environment's http_proxy).

Any solution will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Raj.