Re: generic enquiry about rendering zipped content

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM, André Warnier <aw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Question :
>
> What exact form would a HTTP response need to have, for the browser to
> correctly interpret that the response it is getting is a document (for
> example an OpenOffice document or an email in eml format), but which has
> been zipped for transmission ?
>
> What I would like to happen is that the browser receives the zipped
> document, but instead of proposing to open it as a zip file or save it to
> disk as a zip file, unzips it and handles it properly as per the content of
> the zipped response.
>
> I know that this has to do with the Content-Type and Content-disposition and
> Content-encoding (Content-type-encoding ?) headers, but do not know exactly
> what are the caveats or rules or "things that work with one browser and not
> the other" kind of stuff.
>
> Does anyone know ?
>
> If more context is required :
> A server-side application stores on the one hand original documents of
> different kinds, zipped, and on the other hand meta-data about these
> documents in a database and search-engine.
> The user can search the database, and obtain a response html page, on which
> appear icons representing the original documents.  When clicking on such an
> icon, the user should receive the original document.
> It seems a pity, considering that the document is already stored zipped at
> the server side, to unzip it before sending it to the browser, so that the
> browser would know that it is not a zip-file, but an OpenOffice document.
> The plan is thus to have, underneath the icons, a link which invokes an
> application on the server (Apache module, mod_perl module, cgi-bin,..),
> which retrieves the zipped original, composes the appropriate HTTP headers
> (wich it can do only based on info stored in the db), and sends the document
> in the appropriate way to the browser, in the zipped format. The filename of
> the zipped document on the server gives no clue as to its content. Only the
> meta-data in the db indicates that.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights, advice, pointers etc..

I believe mod_deflate is what you're looking for:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html

I've never used it myself, so I'm not exactly sure what it does, but
it might be on the right trail. After a quick scan of google, it looks
like it's related to the content-coding HTTP header, so it might be
worth reading up on that a bit more.

Hope that get's you started, at least.
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848