mod_rewrite redirects instead of silent rewrite

Hi,

I hope that you could help me, because I've spent hours on googling and reading mod_rewrite docs and still can't get it working...

What I want to achieve as a final effect is that GET requests like

http://john.demo.myapp.com/
http://lucy.demo.myapp.com/

will be internally rewritten and served as

http://john.demo.myapp.com/usersite/john
http://lucy.demo.myapp.com/usersite/lucy

without redirects so URL in user's browser will remain clean, and I will avoid one more request. It should give the same effect as typing e.g. http://lucy.demo.myapp.com/usersite/lucy in the browser.

Here's my configuration:

Apache is already configured for *.demo.myapp.com like

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName demo.myapp.com
	ServerAlias *.demo.myapp.com
	DocumentRoot /some/path
# rest of config here
</VirtualHost>

I've tried to add

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} (.+)\.demo\.myapp\.com$
RewriteRule ^/$ /usersite/%1

but the effect is that apache is looking for a file /some/path/usersite/lucy instead of rewriting query-string to /usersite/lucy (later it is passed to the Ruby on Rails backend using mod_passenger, but I've tried to do that without this module and I encounter the same problems).

I've tried also to force it to treat this as an URL, not a path by passing full URL:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} (.+)\.demo\.myapp\.com$
RewriteRule ^/$ http://%0/usersite/%1

As log says, it constructs URL in a good way, but it invokes 302 redirect. In documentation, there's an information that if current host matches host in second part of RewriteRule, schema and host got stripped and query string is rewritten. It doesn't actually happen.

Any ideas? What am I making wrong? I use apache 2.2.

Thanks,

m.