Re: Troubles enforcing canonical hostname in a .htaccess file

The way to deal with this is never in the .htaccess file but in the virtual hosts configuration.  If you do not have access to this, you need to ask whoever does to make sure that www.domain.com and domain.com both go to the same virtual host.

for instance, these lines in your httpd.conf file or httpd-vhosts.conf file would direct all urls ending in domain.com to one place

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName domain.com
        ServerAlias *.domain.com
</VirtualHost>

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Eric Covener <covener@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Olivier Sannier <obones@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I tried to adapt the given example and modified my .htacess file to this:

> RewriteEngine On
>
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mydomain.com [NC]
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$  http://www.mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

In .htaccess, the RewriteBase including a trailing slash are stripped
before the comparison
RewriteRule (.*)  http://www.mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

--
Eric Covener