How to use ErrorDocument Directive when Apache is configured as pure reverse proxy.

Hi all,

Anyone had any luck with serving custom error documents when Apache is configured as a reverse proxy?  I do not have a DocumentRoot, just Rewrite and ProxyPass back to application server?

When the back end is overloaded, Apache generates it's generic 503 Page, I need to change this default Apache 503 page to a custom 503, this will need to come from Apache flat file not the back end server.

I have tried adding a DocumentRoot and exclusion RewriteCond, but mod proxy and Apache seem to be intercepting the request and trying to serve it from the back end server that is being reverse proxied.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.