RE: help with rewrites - changing the base path

Matthew
This works as if you just moved all the data files to a new directory.

To keep this change internal you can drop the [R=301] in the brackets and
just use the [L] character.

Also as I am assuming that the rest of the URL is to be arguments that is
where the regular expression comes into play
The (.*)$ portion of the expression is telling modrewrite to make variables
of the rest of the URL. In this instance it is taking the rest of the URL and
making it argument $1. This is where the second half of your rewriterule
comes into play. You always need to point the server to an actual file. What
that file serves may be dependent upon what is in the URL. By using a static
URL you disguise what the variable names that are used on the actual page to
make variable pages from one served page.

An example that I am currently testing and is working is

	RewriteBase /
	RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_URI} !-f
	RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_URI} !-d
	RewriteRule ([A-Za-z0-9-\ ]+)/([A-Za-z0-9-\ /_]+).php$
$2.php?[variable name]=$1 [QSA,PT]
	RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_URI} !-f
	RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_URI} !-d
	RewriteRule ([A-Za-z0-9-\ /_]+).php$ [dynamic page file]?[variable
name]=$1 [QSA,PT,L]

Let me know if this is enough for you

Christopher Evens
Web Programmer, Christian Record Services for the Blind
Free lending library for the blind
www.christianrecord.org