Expected load

Hey all,

I've recently set up a 32-bit Apache 2.2 server on Ubuntu sitting on an Amazon small instance (1.7GB of memory, single core, 1.2GHz Opteron equivalent). This is the first server that I have managed so I am not sure what to expect in terms of performance on such lackluster hardware. The next useful option by price is a large instance with 7.5 GB of memory and two cores which are both twice as powerful as our current core. Unfortunately, this costs 4 times as much per hour as our current option so we cannot switch to it right away.

At peak times we have up to 250 people concurrently using the site (users who were active within a 5 minute period), and service about 25 requests per second. We're also hosting a MySQL server on the same machine. Our main website is based on PHP and we have a busy phpBB forum.

At peak times we see a load average of 20 and about 90% of our memory in use, so our server is practically on fire.. :). Even in busy times, not many processes show up on our MySQL processlist, so the database is probably fairly quiet. We don't have any significant swapping activity or processes waiting for IO (I think top's 'wa' metric is <5%).

What I want to know is if anyone has had experience with a platform of this capability and what sort of Apache performance I could possibly hope to wring out of it with performance tuning.

We're currently using the prefork MPM with this configuration:

StartServers 5
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
MaxClients 120