RE: AuthType, Content hashing for LDAP

In fact, auto_prepend_file could be used to include a script that unsets the var in question, which atm seems a harmless workaround.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Kew [mailto:nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 05 December 2008 20:30
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  AuthType, Content hashing for LDAP

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:28:17 +0200
"Johnny Edge" <jedge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Everything is fine and works as expected, however I much prefer to
> have the 'Authorization: Basic YXBhY2hldXNlcjphcGFjaGVwYXNz' header
> encrypted and not available to a var such as $_SERVER["PHP_AUTH_PW"]
> in PHP while not harming the ldap functionality.

Isn't there a PHP option to suppress that?  With CGI the password is always withheld unless you compile with BIG_SECURITY_HOLE?

You could use RequestHeader.

> Do you reckon there is a work around for this, i.e. w/ mod Digest or
> other means?

That'll work around it too, to the extent that the credentials exposed to PHP will be of no use to a cracker.  But better just to remove it, or replace it with a dummy value.

--
Nick Kew

Application Development with Apache - the Apache Modules Book http://www.apachetutor.org/