File upload to Apache server (POST)

Hi All,

First of all, sorry for the long mail.  Gist of the mail is to know how to use the POST method for Apache server without installing Tomcat or any third party software.

I have a "Server version: Apache/2.0.54" installed in my system.  I have configured it to act as a server as well as a proxy server; which means the Apache is working fine.

Now I try to do some configuration so that the Apache server will support uploading of files (i.e. POST method).

For that I created a folder “public” and the configuration in httpd.conf for the same is as follows:

<Directory "/var/www/html/public">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    <Limit POST GET HEAD DELETE>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
</Directory>

Then “/etc/init.d/httpd restart”.

Then POST command is executed to create a new file “NotExists.txt” in "/var/www/html/public":

User  :$> POST "http://127.0.0.1/public/NotExists.txt";
Reply :$> Please enter content (application/x-www-form-urlencoded) to be POSTed:
User  :$> helloooooooooooooooo
User  :$> Ctrl D
Reply :$> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
          <title>404 Not Found</title>
          </head><body>
          <h1>Not Found</h1>
          <hr>
          <address>Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora) Server at 127.0.0.1 Port 80</address>

[
 “User” is the User Input given by the user.
 “Reply” is the reply printed out on to the terminal.
]

And in case, the POST is done for a file which already exists in the server, the content of the file is given back (i.e., it behaves as if a GET request is sent!).

Also, would like to know if the DELETE method is supported by Apache.  If so, what should be the configuration.

Regards,
prasanth.

India's first Indian Language Mailing System,Now in a New Look and Feel.Open your FREE e-mail account today!!!