Apache 2.2.10 - apxs - cross-compiling modules failing

Short: I need to cross-compile modules which use apxs, but apxs fails.

Long: I've tried the mod_python list, since that's the list dealing
with my problem module, however after a few rounds of emails, it
became apparent that the problem seems to be with the fact that there
isn't a version of apxs that can be used during cross-compiles.
Either:

1) The host version (if it even exists!) could be used, in which case
the resultant module is likely unsuitable for the target platform or

2) The target version could be used, but that tries to use files that
aren't (yet) in their correct place, since it's being executed from
the host.

Is there some magic I need to be able to cross-compile modules that
require apxs, or a page describing what I need to do that Google
hasn't yet thrown at me? Searches for 'cross-platform apxs' and
'cross-compile apxs' haven't been too illuminating.

TIA.

--
PJH