Trouble shooting help...Apache only recognizing local HTTP requests...was working fine till....

This one has me scratching my head, any insight would be appreciated...

Installed Ubuntu server 8.04 with the generic Apache install. Set up a
few webpages in htdoc, could access from LAN side (e.g. localhost, and
192.168.0.xxx). Set up router to port forward http requests on port
80, set up domain redirect on dyndns. Worked fine for 2 months. SSH
connections from LAN side and WAN side work fine as well.
Installed: Hylafax (fax server), then, to accommodate a USB modem, I
did the following:
Installed linux-headers-2.6.24-19-server to /usr/src/
I then installed the modem package:
dgcmodem_1.08_k2.6.24_19_server_ubuntu_i386.deb.z ip

Ubuntu now recognizes my modem, but something broke
apache.....external (e.g. WAN) http requests are not displayed...e.g.
the web pages dont show up in the browser when I go to my domain
website (any browser).

I am trying to figure out what changed.  It *seems* to be that the
above installs apparently did something to prevent external web page
requests. Any ideas? Any suggestions on how to begin tracking this
down?
SSH still works on both LAN and WAN sides.
None of the apache config files appear to have been modified.  The
error log looks normal. So what is preventing responses?
The firewall has not changed (it passed requests for 2 months). I did
install postfix, sasl, courier, amavis, spamassisn, clamav, postgrey,
squirrelmail, phpmyadmin, and shorewall about a month ago, but
everything has been working fine.

Firefox provides the following messages:
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ubuntuserver.homeunix.com.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?
Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing

Any suggestions? This really has me baffled....
Thanks
John