basic authentication under apace 2.2.8

Hi,

I'm having problems getting this working and I could really use some advice!

I'm upgrading from apache 2.0 and trying to trying to get basic authentication working against a db (AuthBasicProvider file works fine)

My problem's with:
AuthBasicProvider dbm
AuthDBMUserFile /usr/local/webaccess

where /webaccess  = Berkeley DB (Hash, version 7, native byte-order)

This file I've inherited from an older system but if I use dbmmanage to create a new file the only dfference is, it's a version 8. The problem's the same either way, all I get is the following error:

(2)No such file or directory: could not open dbm (type default) auth file: /usr/local/webaccess

Permissions on the file are 644 and just to be sure I switched to the apache user and have no problems viewing the file at the command line.

I've tried setting different values for AuthDBMType but it doesn't seem to matter.

I've compiled in the following auth related modules.

mod_authn_file.c
  mod_authn_dbm.c
  mod_authn_default.c
  mod_authz_host.c
  mod_authz_groupfile.c
  mod_authz_user.c
  mod_authnz_ldap.c
  mod_authz_default.c
  mod_auth_basic.c

Any idea's what I'm missing?

thanks!!

Maria

--

Maria Fogarty,
Web Administrator,

Tel: 01 8963640
Email: webmaster@xxxxxx

Please note that electronic mail to, from, or within the College may be the subject of a request under the Freedom of information Act.