Escaped forward slash

Hi there,

Yesterday i was stucked on an issue with mod_rewrite when i realized the problem actually was : how does apache deals with url-encoded forward slashes ( "/" => "%2F" ) in URIs. If a such slash character is in the query string, there's no problem, but if it's on the "path part" of the URI, what does it mean?
For example :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2%2Ffaq/
Does it look for a directory named "2.2/faq" (with the slash making part of the name) ?
Or is it simply forbidden?

In my case, i had to redirect the following
/folder/anything
/cgi-bin/abc.cgi?anything

I first thought that "anything" should be fully escaped to make a single data block, so "any/thing" had to be "any%2Fthing" But apache didn't execute my rewrite rule, it didn't even looked at my .htaccess. If i drop the .htaccess and put the equivalent configuration in a <Directory> directive into the main conf, same thing. Seems that when an escaped slash in the "path part" of URI, it means "error, don't go further".
Note that we're using apache 1.3.3x