mod_rewrite prg option not working

I am having trouble getting the external program option of RewriteMap to
work.

RewriteMap convert rnd:/path/to/rnd/file
and
RewriteMap convert txt:/path/to/txt/file

both work as expected.

RewriteMap convert prg:/path/to/prg/file

does not work, and the program does not even seem to be called.

The location,owner, and permissions of the files are the same as other cgi
scripts that do work.

The only error that shows up in any file is a 302 error for the unconverted url.

The expected configuration lines show in the Apache Server Information
report:

Current Configuration:
    In file: /etc/apache2/local.d/misc.conf
       6: RewriteLog "/var/run/rewrite.log"
       7: RewriteLock "/var/run/rewrite.lck"
       8: RewriteLogLevel 4
    In file: /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/test.conf
       5: <VirtualHost 10.xxx.xxx.xxx:xx>
      13:   RewriteMap convert prg:/path/rewrite.pl

The above line was the only one that I change for the different tests.

      46:   <Directory "/www/xxx">
      51:     RewriteEngine On
      52:     RewriteBase /
      53:     RewriteRule ^.*fix /${convert:$1} [L]
        :   </Directory>
        : </VirtualHost>

For the program I am using the example perl script given in the Apache
mod_rewrite documention.  It works as expected when run from the
command line.

The rewrite log file is created,  but stays empty even when the request is
sucesfully rewritten (i.e. I get the expected image in the browser when using
the txt: and rnd: options).

I am running a locally compiled Apache 2.2.9 under SuSE 11.

...don

support (at) microtechniques.com