DirectoryIndex reset ?

Hi.

I have a suggestion regarding the DirectoryIndex directive (Apache 2.2.x). Do I have to register etc.. somewhere, or can I just submit it here ?

Note that this may also just be a documentation issue.

In any case, here it is :

Suggestion :
DirectoryIndex disable (or none)

There does not appear at the moment to exist a form of the DirectoryIndex directive, that would allow to reset the list to "nothing".
For example, if within a <VirtualHost> section, I specify
DirectoryIndex Index.html index.html Welcome.html index.php
this in "inherited" by the underlying <Directory> sections, which is basically what I want. However, if I want one particular sub-directory tree *not* to have index documents, despite the above general setting, there is no good way to specify that (at least not in the documentation).

The practical impact is that Apache does internal lookups for each of the above documents before giving up, even if I know perfectly well that these lookups are useless. This may also result in further internal inefficiencies in terms of re-performing authentication (or at least testing if it needs to be done etc..)

One can reduce the number of lookups to one, by specifying
<Directory ..>
DirectoryIndex x

(x not existing), but that seems inelegant and still results in one useless lookup.

Or is there another already-implemented way to achieve the above ?