Re: How does Apache handle expired server certificate and expired CA root certificate?

Swapan Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Appreciate if someone could share more info on the following:
>

> Does Apache do any special handling if the installed server certificate
> or the CA root certificate has expired?
>

> In my installation, we are seeing that the expired Server certificate is
> sent to the client when a resource is accessed over https.
>
> Is this the expected behavior?

Yes it is.

> If not, do we need to do any specific configuration on Apache, which
> will prevent Apache from sending the server certificate?
>

> Please suggest what is the expected behavior in such cases when the
> server certificate or the CA root certificate has expired and client
> accesses a resource over https.

The browser *should* warn the user that certificate is now invalid. In
other words it no longer is within the accepted date range.

You could potentially write a little script that pulls a copy of the
certificates from all your sites, and if less than aweek to go fires off
an email, or you could just add a calendar item with a reminder.  :-)

Tony Stevenson
tony@xxxxxxxxxxx  //  pctony@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pc-tony.com/

1024D/51047D66 ECAF DC55 C608 5E82 0B5E  3359 C9C7 924E 5104 7D66