JAD And JAR MIME Issue

I am trying to test a very simple J2ME MIDlet application that I developed that just says Hello World. For mobile devices (or mobile emulators) to be able to download and install the sample application, I uploaded it to my local apache webserver and added a .htaccess file to the root of the sample donwload site so as to let apache respond with the rigth mimes for the JAD and JAR files. My .htaccess file contains the following :

# JavaME
AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor .jad
AddType application/java-archive .jar

but I continue to get errors that suggest that apache still does not handle the JAD mime type properly. I used a firefox  plugin called Tamper Data, that lets me see request and response headers and the response header for the JAD file (even after the configurations with the .htaccess file) is text/plain instead of text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor that I suppose it should be.  Please what am I missing about setting the mime type for JAD files to allow OTA provisioning for mobile devices.

Cheers.