Re: mod-headers 'early' keyword working in 2.2.4?

Nick Kew wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:49:19 -0700
Gordon Mohr <gojomo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, if anything?

Sounds like you're using an older Apache version than you think:
that's exactly what I'd expect from Apache 2.0.x, which didn't
support the "early" keyword.

Indeed, I'd been misled by a Server header it was forwarding from another server. It is 2.0.x. That explains the errors. Thanks!

Why do you want early?  It's there as an aid for developers
rather than for operational use.  And if you're a developer,
why aren't you using the source?

Motivation for 'early':

The server in question is proxying to another server which often provides a bad Expires header. I'd like to strip that header and replace it with a new Expires, +1 day.

Using mod_expires alone only seems to add the Expires header on proxied responses when it isn't already present.

Using 'Header unset Expires', in any order relative to the Expires directives, removes all Expires. It looked like 'early' might have some chance of removing the original Expires without disturbing the mod_expires addition.

Any other ideas for achieving the desired effect only via configuration on the proxying Apache?

I saw the note that 'early' is intended as "a test/debugging aid for developers", but the followup description -- that the headers can be further changed by other modules -- is exactly the effect I need. Since not even the source I viewed suggested any further risks to using 'early' operationally, it seemed worth a try.

- Gordon @ IA