Re: Slow (Delayed) CGI request

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Matt <matt.farey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM, John McGowan <john@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I've got several apache servers that have been running for quite some time.  We don't
>
> What an ace problem. I dont know the answer, but here are some questions. Have you used telnet over ssh while logged on locally on each servers to make sure its not with something common to the setups, which would mean that even locally it would take 10seconds. Im assuming a GET verb is used. Was your hello world perl script just that, or did it have a db connection are have part of the captcha generator code in common.
> Do you use perl elsewhere on the servers other than the cgi-bin with no issues. how big is your path? Have you tcpdumped the request, Im assuming TTFB is the problem, that would tell you what the server was doing. Are using a proxy, or a firewall to hide these servers?

I used telnet to get to the local ip, from a server on port 80 and
issued the get request myself... still got a 10 second delay.

The hello world script was extremely simple. basically just echoing a
content type header and a string.

No problem with Perl, in fact the hello world script and the captcha
cgi that i'm trying to get to work quickly, both run immediately from
the command line.  The captcha program isn't perl at all, it's a
binary executable written in C.

--
John McGowan

Lynch2