Re: Turning on-off Apache service in Win XP Pro SP 3

Jonathan Tremone wrote:
Hi Andre,

I wasn’t expecting such a quick reply but thanks!  Answers to each question
follows:

1) Services List - in Windows XP Pro > Start ? Control Panel >
Administrative > Services.  Apache does not appear in this "Service" area.
2) Command window and type "net start" - Answer: "The command has completed
successfully" however, nothing about Apache is listed in all the programs
3) I do not know how to use the Registry Editor
4) see #3
5) Click on Apache logo in bottom right task bar: - "Hover" No services installed
	- "Right Click" Open Apache Monitor, Open Services, Exit
	- "Double Click" OK, Services, Connect, Exit - all other selections
are unselectable

6) In web browser typed "http://127.0.0.1:8080"; Failed to Connect Firefox
can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:8080. Though the
site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
    * Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network
connection.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?
Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Does this help?

Yes.

Obviously, the Apache installer did not install Apache, at least not as
a Service..  But it seems to have installed that little tray icon and
its corresponding program, and even have started it.

So let's try to download and run the Installer again, but before that,
we must remove the service if it was installed partially before.
For that, click Start..Settings..Control Panel.
Then select "Programs" or "Installed software" or something similar (I
don't remember precisely how it's called on an English Windows (or
whatever you use)). Look for an item named "Apache 2.2 ..", and if it is there click "remove".
If it is not there, just continue.

Download the installer again from the Apache website, and try running it
again, making sure you let it do all it has to do and wait until it
probably pops up a message asking if it should start the service now.
While installing, note in which disk directory it installs, that may be
useful later. (If this is your own test laptop, I suggest changing the
default install directory, to C:\Apache2.2, that will make your life
easier later).

I have used this same installer to install Apache 2.2 several times
under Windows, XP included, so I have little doubt that it works.  But
maybe under your particular Windows version or configuration, it does
not.  That's the interesting part with installing things under Windows,
there is always an element of mystery and suspense..