Re: Configuration Problems

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
André Warnier wrote:

Not knowing Vista, I have not much to contribute,

the bit of information you are missing is file permissions and UAC (User
Access Control).  Clearly a file permission problem, because it didn't
silently accept their change as a private copy that the system would
ignore.  Run notepad (for example) "as administrator" and the file can
be modified; alternately run

but a little bit of advice :

Re : C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\conf\httpd.conf

If you are really at the beginning, and if this is not forbidden in Vista, I would suggest to de-install your Apache package, and re-install it in a directory such as "C:\Apache2.2" or even "C:\Apache2". That will take you 5 minutes now, and save you later many keystrokes, many typos and many headaches.

No argument.  I've determined to do this for my classroom work, since
students copying from an overhead are prone to mistype.  The permissions
may be prickly though,

Paths with spaces in them bite you sooner or later, and that one is really terrible. Can't even paste it into an email without wrapping it around.
And think of your <Directory> sections in your httpd.conf later..

Two points.  Quote the pathnames, it's trivial.  Secondly, try ^C/^V,
it spares you a ton of embarrassment.  (It has for me.)

I was thinking of sections like
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
 Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs">
do something
</Directory>
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
 Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/public">
do something else
</Directory>
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
 Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/private/BankData">
do something else
</Directory>
etc.... Even with copy-and-paste and quotes, it quickly becomes a pain.

And spaces in paths will give you headaches, as soon as you start doing more advanced things such a rewriting URLs for instance.

I really don't know why the Apache Windows package creators embed such a terrible path by default in that installer.

Because c:\ pollution is even worse, and MS choose the convention, not us.
Give me a break and complain to them.

The next solution will be worse.  The proper solution is that the actual
configuration is a per-user mess living in a tree that is named;

  c:\Users[*]\Application Data\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\

[*] Documents and Settings for all you poor XP/2003/NT users

You might not be aware that in non-US/UK versions of Windows, this will also be different, such as "Dokumente und Einstellunge", "Documentos y Parametros", and so on. Also "Program Files" becomes variously "Programme", "Archivos de Programa", "Fichiers de Programmes", and "Application Data" becomes "Datos de Programa", "Anwendungsdaten" and so on. I do not know where your classroom work takes places, nor if there is any concern about distributing these settings or instructions to a multi-lingual audience that might be using other that US/UK versions of Windows. But if there is, you might want to take this into account, or it might well confuse some.

The fact the MS uses a conventional MS way to do things, does not necessarily mean that everyone else has to blindly follow it. Particularly open-source packages and particularly for such packages as Apache, where the audience almost by default is the world at large.

There is a creeping tendency to do so however. I am waiting impatiently for the Windows Apache version's "cute paperclip popup assistant" to show up.