Re: Pass-through LDAP authentication with Internet Explorer and Active Directory

Clayton Hicklin wrote:
I have LDAP authentication against Active Directory working perfectly in
Firefox, but my problem is with IE.  IE automatically passes through the
username and password so once you are logged into the domain, you don't have
to type it in again.

That's great, except it is passed through as <domain>\<user>.  To do LDAP
authentication against Active Directory, I am searching the sAMAccountName
attribute of the users.  This attribute holds the username for that user,
but does not include the <domain>\ prefix, therefore authentication fails in
IE and it prompts you for the username and password.

As far as I can tell, the <domain>\ prefix is not stored anywhere inside the
user object, so there is no way to authenticate with the credentials that IE
provides.

Has anybody got this working?  Is there some sort of workaround or hidden
parameter in the Apache LDAP modules that might fix this?  Thanks!

Hi Clayton.
There are so many things that might be "happening in IE" that you need to be a little more specific for someone to be able to help you. Can you provide some more precise details about your setup ? like which version of Apache, what module are you using, what the parameters are, etc.. There are not so many things that can be done at the IE side, but maybe the authentication module which you are using on the server side has some parameters. The fact that IE at first passes the domain\user seems to imply that IE thinks it is doing "Windows Integrated Authentication", which can be a good or a bad thing. But without some more details, one would not know where to start looking. Contrary to what you seem to think (or at least what you write), it is not in IE that authentication fails, it is at the server level. As a result, the server sends a "401 Authorization required" to IE, and that is when IE pops up the login dialog.