Re: Chunked + Gzip

Nick Kew wrote:
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:00:44 -0300
Michael Caplan <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I guess I am hung up on the legacy of mod_gzip, which forced
dynamically generated data to be dechunked before gzipped.

WTF are you talking about?

From: http://schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/config.htm

##########################
### transfer encodings ###
##########################

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Allow mod_gzip to eliminate the HTTP header
#    'Transfer-encoding: chunked'
# and join the chunks to one (compressable) packet
 *mod_gzip_dechunk              Yes*
# (this is required for handling several types of dynamically generated
# contents, especially for CGI and SSI pages, but also for pages produced
# by some Java Servlet interpreters.

From http://schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/status.htm

SEND_AS_IS:DECHUNK_OPTION_IS_OFF

originated by mod_gzip_sendfile2

meaning
A Transfer-Encoding: chunked was detectet, but in the configuration mod_gzip has not been allowed to remove this encoding (i. e. collect all chunks and join them to one packet, whose content would then be compressable). The directive mod_gzip_dechunk Yes would have allowed mod_gzip to compress this request.